Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Movin' On...
I have left the blighted landscape of the People's Republik of Bloombergia, also known as Sodom-on-the-Hudson, for the sunnier pastures of Charlotte, North Carolina. It took a couple of weeks for my stuff to catch up with me, hence the extended abscence and lack of updates.

Moving is almost never an easy experience, especially when one is leaving home, family and everything that is familiar. Not in this case, though. This was an easy choice to make. if I need to list the reasons, here they are:

1. I cut my rent from 1/3 of my monthly income to 1/7.
2. Cigarettes are $5 per pack cheaper here, and there is not a brigade of prissy, mostly-homosexual non-smokers looking to crucify me for lighting up.
3. People will actually say "Good Morning" to you, even if it isn't.
4. These accents are killer.
5. I've gotten more sun in two weeks than I have in 30 years.
6. Where else could you have a pond full of ducks outside your back window?
7. There are trees here.
8. BBQ is a staple food.
9. Wal-Mart.
10. Two swimming pools on the grounds.
11. 700 miles between my mother and myself.
12. It's actually quiet here at night.
13. "The Diversity" behaves itself.
14. Cable TV for less than what you would get for the average, ready-to-transplant kidney.
15. My blood pressure and cholesterol probably dropped significantly as soon as I got on the train.

All in all, while it was a difficult thing to do, in the end it all evens out. In fact, I think I'm going to make out on the deal. And perhaps be a bit happier.

No comments: