Thursday, May 12, 2005

Making my Skin Crawl...
Just a minor beef about that ubiquitous, scrolling text at the bottom of your television screen that let's you know everything else that's happening the world while the little newsbunny with fantastic hair regales you with nonsense concerning the Michael Jackson trial.

Three things about it:

1. It's annyoing. Despite my best efforts to often ignore it, I am compelled to read that crap and often miss what's being talked about on the rest of the screen. I have an excellent attention span (I hope) but sometimes, it doesn't fare well when I'm forced to split it.

2. I've noticed an awful lot of spelling and grammatical errors in the crawl in recent weeks. I hate to say it, but Fox News is the worst offender. You would assume that a news network would a) edit what it was putting on screen and b) that the means of putting that nonsense on the screen has a spell-checker.

3. This phenomenon started in the direct aftermath of the 9/11 attacks. For me, that day was incredibly painful and I hate to be constantly reminded about it. I associate the crawl with a terrorist attack (and it is an assault upon the senses, if you ask me).

Get rid of it, please. If you're not going to let the crawl go, then at least make an effort to spell everything properly.

No comments: