Sunday, September 11, 2005

September 11th Revisited...
Four years ago an event that transformed my life took place. I'm not alone in having my life shattered, my expectations from life altered, my outlook on the world forever radically changed.
On this day, 19 middle eastern men hijacked four airliners and rammed them into the World Trade Center in New York, the Pentagon in Washington, and due to the bravery of ordinary Americans who re-commandeered their plane, a field in Pennsylvania.

We still live with the pain of 3,000 dead Americans. Americans from all walks of life from food service personnel and janitors to airline pilots, stockbrokers, policemen and firemen. Four years is far too short a time for the shock of such an event to wear off. I still think about it all the time, although it does not consume my waking thoughts as it once did. You cannot help BUT think about such things. The horrors that were witnessed on that day are things that no rational, thinking, feeling human being can merely shrug off as "one of those things".

But there are people who do feel this way. They were not present during the event. They do not recall the impassioned pleas of frantic relatives crowding outside hospitals seeking word of missing loved ones. They do not track the newspaper articles reporting the identification and burial of victims who only now have a name to match a body part, four years after the fact.

People like this need to be reminded on a daily basis, with a sledgehammer, if necessary.

I certainly will never forget!

Requiesat in Pacem!

No comments: